Bookcase

Bookcase

Saturday 12 October 2013

Book Review: Mad About The Boy

So i imagine it comes as no surprise that, as a woman, and a Brit, I've purchased the new Helen Fielding and have jumped straight back into the world of my rambunctious, witty heroine favourite. It's a while since Bridget Jones has been on the scene, and a while since a novel has a produced so much interest around its publication date- from the shock sneak peak that has killed off our lawyer lover to the printing mishap that saw Del Boy, Granville and Jack Frost perched in Bridget's living room with cups of tea.

Now I don't think I'm Fielding's target audience, much like with Sex and the City I'm the second generation of reader and the real proof of the author's successes as they propel into the masses. As such, I had no empathy with Bridget's single 30s when I was in my teens and now, have no understanding of her struggles as a mother and a widow. But that's what makes this review all the more interesting, and my epic love of Mrs Jones all the more fascinating.


With the revelation of Mark Darcy's untimely death many readers prematurely concluded that the third novel just wouldn't be the same, and seemed to forget that our love for the story originates with Bridget Jones herself not the men she meets. I fell in love with Bridget for her haphazard thinking, messy lifestyle and confusion, as did Mark and Daniel. As equally gripping men fall for her in this third instalment i've fallen in love with Bridget all over again! 

I found the intended comedy of dealing with twitter nowhere near as funny as Bridget dealing with the other mothers at school in their SUVs and sunglasses, trying to look like Gwyneth Paltrow. Dealing with toyboys and children with hot chocolate down her white coat, a double knotted neck tie and skinny jeans, trying to look like the perfect mother, totally fit the Bridget i grew up with. Of course she still doesn't exercise, of course her mother still criticises her, of course she finds herself dangling from a tree with her thong hanging out. I laughed out loud on multiple occasions, most loudly at -'When he's hot, he's hot; when he's not, he's not. But at least there is always food' and found myself wondering what her kids looked like and who could play her new love interest- or interests? in the film adaptation.

Fielding deals effortlessly with Bridget's new life; she's a good mother and a patient widower. I feel satisfied that Bridget misses Mark and dealt with his death and am beyond happy when she meets new men. Just like before i am taken on a massive journey with her, coming out the other end thinking i know more about Bridget than i do myself.
And for those still holding on to the first 2 novels- don't worry, Daniel Cleaver is still in the picture.

2 comments:

  1. is it good? It's had some pretty feisty reviews xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously loved it myself, but in response to the bad reviews I like what the guardian said- "And why not? It's fiction. I've always been surprised at how furiously some women work themselves up over Bridget in the name of feminism."

    ReplyDelete