Bookcase

Bookcase

Thursday 8 August 2013

Travelling Tom

My dad's favourite travel writer is Graham Greene and i didn't quite grasp why when i had to read Journey Without Maps in an English class, as illustrated by the fact that it hasn't made it onto my bookshelf and instead has fit nicely amongst his old Penguins...



Instead, i've got my own favourite travel writer. I was given Short Walks From Bogotรก by Tom Feiling as a Christmas gift (books are the go to present in my family) because i'm currently dating someone from Colombia. It's history is pretty heavy, especially when you have to get your head around Colombia's complicated political and cultural struggles for the first time, and so it was overwhelming at times. However, the history is indented with interviews and personal accounts and begins to feel like a collection of stories rather than academia. Even better is The Candy Machine, which basing itself around 'how cocaine took over the world' is a lot more applicable and relatable to us Westerners. 



I finally understood, not just the history, but how Colombia's war on drugs continues to this day as growers, distributors, consumers and politicians pass blame to one another. Learning about all the different agents was fascinating, along with the original uses and creation of coca in altitude medicine and certain fizzy drinks. I imagined Tom as Ross Kemp investigating the front lines of this war, speaking to individuals who needed to hide their identities. My ability to play out a book as a film in my head is always a great indication of its successful imagery!
I understand that Tom is an expert in Colombian history and works on campaigns advising aid, so i'm presuming a similar collection on other Latin American countries is unlikely. However, i'm still going to hope, and search for more of his books to make me an expert on Colombia when i eventually venture over there to.. dare i say it, meet the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment